Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Journey to Permaculture

I can still remember sitting in Nikki's tiny apartment, years ago before we were married, sitting in a ray of sunshine reading her grandfather's copy of Rodale's The Complete Book of Composting on a quiet, perfect afternoon.  Something clicked inside me that day, as I learned about the incredible symphony of diverse life transforming waste into humus in Nature's perfect recycling system.  That was the day that sent me on this path of endless composting and garden tinkering. 
 
 
 
 
It is amazing how an idea can reach out and change your world.  I feel the need to start this blog off with a list of the books that have helped shape my views and understanding.  The more I learn, the more I understand how much I don't know.  Here are the ideas that have helped guide me from a person with a mild interest in plants, to aspiring permaculturist.
 
 

Top Book Recommendations

 
The Complete Book of Composting, by J Rodale and staff
 
Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening
 
Carrots Love Tomatoes & Roses Love Garlic by Louise Riotte
 
Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
 
Great Garden Companions by Sally Jean Cunningham
 
Worms Eat My Garbage by Mary Appelhof
 
Let it Rot by Stu Campbell
 
Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison

Permaculture, A Designer's Manual by Bill Mollison
 
Sepp Holzer's Permaculture by Sepp Holzer
 
The One Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka
 
The Passive Solar Construction Handbook by Steven Winter Associates Inc.
 
The Earth Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book by Mike Oehler
 
The $50 and up underground house book by Mike Oehler
 
You Can Farm by Joel Salatin
 
Seed To Seed by Suzanne Ashworth
 
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
 
The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan
 
Food Rules by Michael Pollan

Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemmenway
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment