Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Seed Starting Bench

I am really happy about the new seed starting benches that I built.  Since I started saving heirloom seeds, I knew I needed a better seed starting setup than last years folding table.  Luckily we have a nice sun room that works as a makeshift greenhouse in the early spring.  By using the sunlight as much as possible, I can get strong starters with a minimal of supplemental lighting.  So I designed a bench that will hold 8 standard 10"x20" seed starting flats with four in front of each level of our double hung windows.

02/2012 
It is fairly lightweight and cheap to build, using 1x2 framing that can be ripped from any 2x lumber and thin plywood for the walls and shelves
02/2012
The bottom shelf sits on a box containing an incandescent light fixture, which warms the 4 trays on the bottom shelf.

03/29/2012
Here it is in action.  I had to hang the top light from hooks in the cieling, but the bottom fixture hangs neatly from the upper shelf.

03/29/2012

05/07/2012
Tomatoes and Peppers on the top, flowers on the bottom.


05/07/2012










No comments:

Post a Comment